I am very lucky to live on Casco Bay in Portland, Maine. Casco Bay extends from Cape Elizabeth (Portland) in the south to Cape Small in the north. I am fascinated by the 136 islands in this archipellago, particularly the passages between the islands. Here are a few of the paintings I've created of this motif. Most of this work has been done on location. There are more paintings on my website: http://www.kathleendaughan.com/ where paintings and prints can be purchased.

Passages: Phippsburg 3 (Wood Island)

10x10 oil on panel, sold

A reader has given me some interesting information about the Phippsburg paintings. This is Big Wood Island on the right and Little Wood on the left. Good fishing in the passage between which is what fascinated me about this scene. Turns out John Marin painted here in 1914. His painting "Big Wood Island" is a classic John Marin and was recently shown at the Portland Museum of Art. Very nice article about all this by Bob Keyes in the Portland Press Herald on Aug 15, 2010.
This painting was sold at the Black Frame auction but prints of it are available at Fine Art America. Link over on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment